Monday, August 17, 2009

-Review: Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris


Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris
 Harper Connelly has what you might call a strange job: she finds dead people. She can sense the final location of a person who's passed, and share their very last moment. The way Harper sees it, she's providing a service to the dead while bringing some closure to the living-but she's used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech.

Traveling with her step-brother Tolliver as manager and sometime-bodyguard, she's become an expert at getting in, getting paid, and getting out fast. Because for the living it's always urgent-even if the dead can wait forever. ~summary: barnesandnoble.com
I'm usually not a big fan of mysteries--well actually, I'm never a fan. But I read this for two reasons: I've never heard of a story plot even similar to this, & also because I'm already a fan of Charlaine Harris. Either way I'm glad I read it!

The book follows Harper Connelly, who was struck by lightning when she was 15 & therefore now has the power to track corpses, & see the moments right before they died. People hire her to find their missing loved ones. I really liked Harper's character--of course she feels a little out of place in the world since so many people look at her like the anti-Christ, or like she's crazy, but she still continues to do her job to help bring closure to people & despite what people think she feels like she's doing something good.

Series followed by Grave Surprise and An Ice Cold Grave. The fourth book, Grave Secret, is scheduled to be published in October 2009. If you read this, you'll want to read the whole series!




- Very good book; fast-paced; very unique storyline. Was enough to make me read the sequel. I could see this being made into a TV show or a movie, just like her Sookie books.


0 comments: