Saturday, November 7, 2009

Books To Prisons Project

Today, I started helping with my local Books To Prisons group here in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. My step-mom is the coordinator for our local group and she got me interested in this.



For those of you who aren't familiar with the Book To Prisons Project, it is a nation wide Project made up of groups from different cities. We receive letters from prisoners (for my state, they're sent via the Books To Prisons "HQ" in D.C.), then we spend two hours, two Saturdays a month, reading the letters, collecting appropriate books at the prisoner's request, and mailing them to the prisoner. 

This is such a good program for prisoners to expand their minds and leave their cell through reading books. Escapism is something we can all relate to when it comes to reading and I can't think of a better group of people than incarcerated men and women who are anxious to "leave their cells" through books.


We are always in need of donations of books (ANY kind of book: fiction, non-fiction, how-to's, paperback, hardcover, romance, westerns, horror, dictionaries, pretty much any kind of book you can think of). Also anything else you would like to donate (construction paper, sharpies, clear duct tape, ANYTHING) would be SO appreciated.

Also for you more creative folk who like to play around with Paint Shop (and other similar programs) if you would be interested in designing a poster, or anything relating to the Book To Prisons group of Tuscaloosa, AL, we would be eternally in your debt :]


I'm also in the process of setting up a blog for our group. If you would be interested in donating a template, header, button, or ANYTHING for the page, please let me know!


I'm really trying to spread the word about our group because I feel it is such a good cause. I'm thinking of running a contest soon to see who can design the best poster or template, but it's still being worked out in my mind. I'll post again soon on that.


If you would be interested in donating, please feel free to comment this post or contact me at andrearobbins10@yahoo.com

If you'd like more info about Books To Prisons as a whole, please visit these sites:

http://oldserver.quixote.org/ej/bookstoprisons/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_to_Prisoners

4 comments:

The Book Resort said...

I'd love to post this info on my site. Please let me know, Andrea, if it is ok!

http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/2009/11/national-bookstore-day.html?showComment=1257724998573#c7988865829634696039

brizmus said...

I've never even heard of Books to Prisons, but what a COOL idea.
When I move back to the states, it's totally someting I'm going to look into.

Alyssa Kirk said...

This is a great program. We contributed to something like this in Calif. through Guys Lit Wire. I think it's great. I'm sure we have some books around here we could donate. How do we send books?

Iryna said...

Hi Andrea!

I just wanted to say "thanks" for personally notifying me about your contest. That means a lot to me that you'd take the time to actually TELL me. Thanks! However, unfortunately I can't enter because I don't live in the US. :( But still . . . thanks for telling me and congrats on getting past the 100 followers mark!! Good job!

-Iryna

P.S. I wish you the best of luck on collecting books for your "Books To Prisons" project!