Thursday, September 10, 2009

-Review: The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

.
The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
.

All Chloe Saunders wants is a life like any normal teenager – the chance to get through school, make friends, and maybe meet a boy. But when she starts seeing ghosts, she knows that like will never be the same again.

Soon the ghosts are everywhere, demanding her attention. When Chloe finally breaks down, she’s admitted to a group home for disturbed kids.
.
At first Lyle House seems okay, but as she gets to know the other patients – charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek; obnoxious Tori; and Rae, who has a ‘thing’ for fire – Chloe begins to realise that something strange and sinister binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual ‘problem kid’ behaviour.
.

And they’re about to discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home, either… -summary from the book jacket
.
I can't believe I finally finished this! It seriously took me forever, partly because I've been so busy with the baby, & partly because I just couldn't get into it.
.
I had mixed feelings about this book from the moment I picked it up at the library. I was expecting a typical "I see dead people" cliche ghost book. After the first chapter, I thought surely that my assumptions were correct, but as I read on, I saw that there was more to the story than just ghosts.
.
This book moved way too slowly for me. I really could not make myself get into it, and there were a couple times I thought about just putting it down, but I kept hoping the pace would pick up & I would get hooked. Unfortunately that didn't happen until the last 100 pages of the book. I finally got into the story as there was more suspense towards the end.

.
I liked the characters in the book probably more than anything else, and that's not saying much because they weren't the cream of the crop for me either. I began to enjoy them more too towards the end of the book, mainly Derek's character. The first 300 pages, all minor characters (everyone but Chloe) seemed kind of bland to me. I began to understand them more as the plot picked up.
.
Overall, if the whole book had been as intense and fast-paced as the last 100 pages, I would have enjoyed it much more.
.
Still undecided about whether or not I will read the second, The Awakening. The ending leaves me wanting more, but only if it picks up at the speed this book left off. Then it may be possible I could enjoy the sequel more than the first, but if not.......I just don't think I could sit through that whole thing again! Just a slow, slow process for me, reading this book. :\
.
Another cover for this book:






3 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

You and I had similar opinions of this. I will say I've heard part 2 is significantly better.

I loved Derek.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I wonder if Derek will turn into a hottie and fight Simon for her affections? ;)

Lindsay :) said...

I was sure I was the only one who liked Derek! Glad I'm not alone. Look for my review of the second book in the next two? weeks. I'm going to buy it this weekend so I should have it read by next Friday.

~Lindsay
JABA