Sunday, August 23, 2009

-Review: The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger

The Catcher In The Rye-J.D. Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye is the story of teenager Holden Caulfield's turbulent last few days before his Christmas vacation. During these days, Holden leaves Pencey Prep, a boys' school he's been kicked out of, and takes off for a few nights alone in New York City. ~bookrags.com

I finally gave in and read Catcher In The Rye after my dad begging me to read it forever. I was hesitant to read it for a couple of reasons...first, I remember some teachers making their students read it when I was in high school (I never did like those books, because I hate being forced to read something, I'd rather choose to do so on my own--authority issues, lol). I was also skeptical because I felt like it was so far out of my usual genre-even though all I knew about it was it was written in the 1940s-I'm more accustomed to modern, young adult books.


I must admit that I had the wrong idea about Catcher In The Rye, though. I love the main character, Holden Caulfield-he was very entertaining, sarcastic, and witty. When I first started reading, I was worried that since the book was written so long ago, it would be written in a very old-fashioned style, but it was actually refreshing & fun to read some of the lingo & such from that time, & it wasn't too extreme or used annoyingly.


 - Some parts were quite boring-overall, it was J.D. Salinger's style of writing, and Holden's humor & way he tells the story, which kept me reading. Good book, though! ;]

1 comments:

Andrea said...

I've actually never read The Catcher in the Rye, but I should.


I have an award for you.